I HATE/LOVE the Utes

Sunday, November 23, 2008


I hadn't given it much thought until this year, but I honestly have never really cared if BYU or Utah won when they play each other. This is why I don't care: My dad went to both schools so he never really cared. Growing up when BYU and Utah played my dad was content with whatever team won, so I never had the "privilege" of having a crazy wacked out sports fanatic father. Second, I did go to Utah and never did go to BYU, but I still feel betrayed by the U after I gave them 4 good years of tuition and a competitive pharmacy school application they denied me. They showed no loyalty to me, so I show none to them. (Is that the way you repay your Fall 1998 ESS Bowling Champion?)

So I really could care less when the big game rolls around each November. It's like watching two friends play each other at video games. Sometimes you want the more cocky friend to lose, or maybe your other friend just pissed you off that day so you want them to lose. In the end you don't really care. In any case congratulations to the Utes. I'm glad they're having a good season and I will continue to jump on and off the bandwagon and be happy every year.

Go Lobos!! (c'mon it's almost like Woolf in Spanish)

4 comments:

The Bennett Family said...

Hey Nate,
I feel just like you. I only act like a BYU fan once in a while to balance Bret out. He was mad at Utah like you for a few years for not letting him into pharmacy school, but now he's a fan again and enjoys ticking off his BYU fan dad. He made a sign with a big red "U" on it and put it in the Bennett's yard late at night after the game. I'm sure his dad didn't appreciate it in the morning. The funniest part was how he wrote the score on the poster: UTAH 48, BYHS 24 :)

Ike said...

It's unfortunate you feel this way. But I do remember growing up you were a Y fan (at least a casual Y fan), so you don't have it ingrained in you from birth like I do.

I didn't like attending the U until my senior year, when I actually made a lot of friends (a few of which I'm actually still in touch with). But I never let my sub-par academic experience interfere with what I consider a completely seperate experience - cheering for the U's sports programs.

Anyway, everyone here was shocked to hear that UNM's coach is stepping down. I'm sure since there was a lot of talk here, there is much more there.

Go Utes!

Jen said...

I never care either who wins between these 2 teams. I never went to the U or BYU. (Go Wildcats!!) Anyway, I had to laugh when you mentioned that you sometimes cheer for the opposite team just in spite of someone. I did that this year. I knew Ike wanted so badly for the Utes to win and that he would take full credit for their win, so therefore, I cheered on BYU!! Sorry Ike. :) But, to no avail, the U dominated and won! Which, I really wasn't too upset about either. I guess I'm a fair-weather fan. I'm happy for whatever team wins. Unless they are playing the Cowboys…then it’s the cowboys all the way!! Maybe I shouldn’t say that too loudly though…let’s be honest…they suck this year. Our poor coach got canned yesterday too.

Woolf Family said...

Here's to the MWC bottom feeders!